»

Monday, August 07, 2006

Writing Collaboration at Crazy Hip Blog Mamas The ladies at Crazy Hip Blog Mamas are holding a writing collaboration (episode five)! To participate, write a post on "What favorite books from your childhood do you plan to (or have already) introduced to your children?" Then email Crazy Hip Blog Mamas the link to your actual post(not the main blog page) to be included in the post on the CHBM site! All participating members will have a link to their entry. Questions? Go here for more information on the writing collaboration at Crazy Hip Blog Mamas. Not a member? Join Crazy Hip Blog Mamas today! Intro and prompt by Anne-Marie .
My Favorite Book from Childhood
Growing up, My favorite book I would have my mom read to me for bedtime and naptime was The Velveteen Rabbit. So when my first daughter was born both my mom and I went and bought it for her. The Velveteen Rabbit , growing up was such a magical book for me! I not only got the "warm fuzzies" from reading how a stuffed bunny was so loved and cherished by a little boy, I also learned the value of friendship. How the stuffed bunny was always there for the little boy, and the little boy couldn't be without his beloved toy. It made me cry when the bunny had to be thrown away. And then how happy I was for the bunny when he became Real! The story also reminds me how important a childs' imagination is. My 3yo is the one with the most amazing imagination. In her mind all her stuffed animals and baby dolls to her are Real! She even has imaginary pets. I think it's cute how her laundry basket was transformed into a rocket ship, or how she has tea parties with all her baby dolls. When I was younger, I had more of a fantasy imagination, of fairies and unicorns, so that was the big thing for me. That the fairy in the endof the story, turned the Velveteen Rabbit into a real bunny. One last thing, I learned from the book and hope to share with my children is even though we leave or lose friends, there are always new friends to be met and made. We may never forget the ones we've had to leave behind, but how important friends are, and how important it is to be a friend. At the end of the story, the real bunny meets other real bunnies, and lives happily ever after. That part of the story has always stayed with me. I love meeting and making new friends.

3 comments:

Mall Worker said...

I remember that book! I totally forgot about it. It really is a great story, thank you for reminding me about it!

Monkey Butt's Mom said...

I can't believe I forgot about that book. I'm going to add it to my son's wish list right now.

Anonymous said...

I clearly missed out on this book when I was a kid. And I do mean, missed out, because I read a lot, and have no idea how this book escaped my radar (read-ar?). Anyway, the time is now. You've totally sold me on it. I'm going to order it right now.

Incidentally, I saw a random episode of Friends a long time ago where Joey gave a copy of that book to some girl and said it was because he knew how much she liked the cheese.